After you have created a contract, you can sell the contract through the Retail Point of Sale screen and through your online store.
- Selling a contract
- Things you can do to contracts
- Things to know about selling contracts and packages in your online store
Selling a Contract
To sell a contract, follow these steps:
- Go to your Retail tab.
- Look up a client.
- In the Add Item box, click on Contracts/Packages.
- Select the contract that you would like to sell.
- Select the start date of the contract
- If necessary, adjust the contract price.
- Click Add Item.
- Choose a payment method and click Save Print Receipt.
When a contract is purchased, the following events occur:
- The client's credit card is charged for the first installment (unless the Pay Now box is unchecked).
- The autopay schedule is created for the client.
- The purchased items are added to the client's account.
- The contract is added to the client's account.
Things you can do to contracts
Suspend, terminate, and delete
A client's contract can be terminated, suspended, or deleted from their Account Details screen.
- Look up the client whose contract you wish to edit.
- Click on the Account Details button or on the Account Details link in the toolbar at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down to locate the Contracts section.
- The links to Suspend, Terminate, and Delete are located on the right side of the client's contract.
Suspend: Suspending a contract allows you to pause the contract for a while, assuming the client will someday start using it and paying for it again. The autopays missed by the client are pushed out into the future. Meaning, if a client's one-year contract has been suspended for four months, and the suspension is lifted, the missed four months of autopays are automatically tacked onto the end of the contract. You can choose to suspend a contract by a quantity of days, weeks, months, or by specifying a date range. Click here for additional information about contract suspensions.
Terminate: Terminating removes all of the contract's future autopays. Services inside a terminated contract cannot be used. If a continuation of services was necessary, the client would need to purchase a new contract.
Cancel Terminations - You have the ability to cancel a contract termination. When you cancel a terminated contract, the system re-activates the contract and reinstates the contract's remaining autopays. Unlike suspensions, when the termination is canceled, the autopays missed by the client aren't pushed out into the future.
Delete: Deleting a contract removes the contract from the client's account completely. Once you delete the contract, the autopay schedule is also removed. Pricing options and products that were purchased as part of the initial purchase must be deleted separately, by using the normal return process.
- Creating Suspension Fees for Contracts: You have the option to impose a suspension fee at the time the suspension is being made on the Account Details screen, which will then be added as future autopays. The suspension fee will automatically run on the scheduled dates in place of the autopay contract schedule. You can even assign the suspension fee to its own revenue category (e.g., "Suspension Fees") to help you track the revenue. To apply suspension fees:
- Go to the Home tab and select Manager Tools in the submenu. Choose Settings, and click on General Setup & Options, under General Settings.
- Expand the Client Management section and check the box to enable "Contract Suspension Fees."
- Choose a revenue category that will track the suspension fees.
- Look up a client with a contract that you want to suspend, then go to their Account Details screen.
- Click the Suspend link to the right of the contract.
- Enter a suspension fee in the new "Term Suspension Fee" field.
- Click the Add Suspension button.
- When you view the client's future autopays, you'll notice the suspension fee scheduled to run on each date that the contract is suspended. All existing autopays are updated to "Suspended."
- When a contract suspension is deleted from a client's Account Details screen, all future suspension fees within the date range of the suspension are removed.
- When a contract is unsuspended, all suspension fees after the suspension end date are removed. That is, you don't want to charge a suspension fee after the suspension has been lifted.
Please note the following:
- Month-to-month contracts cannot be suspended. Instead, you'll need to terminate the contract to stop the scheduled autopay, and resell it when your client returns.
- Suspension fees only charge in place of a scheduled auto pay during the suspension. When a contract auto renews, the auto renew is viewed as a brand new contract. Therefore, it's schedule autopays no longer apply. The best way to continue to give a client more suspension fees for autopays that were not scheduled, is to create a pricing option called "suspension fee". Then create the same amount of autopay schedules correlated with the amount of suspension fees that the client will no longer be charged.
- You can index suspension fees from the Contract Options screen using suspension types. You can do the same for terminations using termination codes. Click here to read more.
- If a deposit is set up as part of the contract, it is charged at the time of purchase.
- If a retail product is set up as part of the contract, then it is charged at the time of purchase.
- The autopay status for the initial charge is updated to "Successful."
- The discount associated with the contract may not be applied with any others. If other discounts are available, then your MINDBODY system will automatically apply the discount ranking first in the following hierarchical order: 1) Promotions, 2) Contracts, 3) Early Bird Discounts, and 4) Memberships.
- Offset Activation: When you sell contracts on the Retail screen, you'll notice an [Offset Activation] link beside the [Pro-Rate] link. The number that you enter into this activation field will determine how many days after a contract's start date that the pricing option inside the contract is activated. If you don't use MINDBODY's real-time credit card or ACH processing, the Offset Activation feature gives you a window of time for payments to clear before a client can use his or her pricing option.
- If you use this feature for a contract with pricing options that autopay, the offset activation will be applied to all future autopays for the contract. However, the Future Autopays screen won't display the offset activation date until the day that the autopay charges the client.
- Whether you click the Pay Now checkbox or not, the activation offset is always applied to the contract's start date.
Things to know about selling contracts and packages in your Online Store
- If a client wants to pay by cash or check for the first payment of their autopay, click here.
- The Members Only options on the contracts screen override the Members Only options of the pricing option inside the contract. Meaning, if settings on the contract conflict with the settings used for the pricing option inside of the contract, the contract's settings always wins.
- A contract discount overrides any promotion or membership discount.
- If you make at least one contract or package available online, a new submenu appears for your online store titled Contracts, Packages, or Contracts & Packages; depending on what has been enabled for sale online. For example, if you only have one package with the "Sell Online?" feature enabled, then your online store will just have a button titled "Packages." If you don't see a Contracts or Packages option in your online store, then you haven't enabled the "Sell Online?" option for any contracts or packages.
- Contracts sold online list all items inside the contract, how often the contract will autopay, the contract online description, and each item's product notes.
- The client must agree to the contract's text before it will be added to the cart.
- Prorates do not apply to contracts sold online.
- The "Contract Start - Restrict Day of Month" feature (set up on the General Setup & Options screen) does affect contracts sold online.
- First autopay free and last autopay free (set up inside the contract) will be applied to contracts sold online, if you have enabled them.
- You can change some of the wording in your online store by going to the page phrases in your Language Settings screen. Click here to learn more.
- Contract agreement dates are determined by the sale date entered into the Sale Date field at the point of sale.
- If you sell a contract that has one or more products in your online store, then the shipping cost applied for the product will occur only the first time, and autopays will not include shipping rates.